Recently The Procter & Gamble Company announced the introduction of Gillette Fusion ProSeries, an advanced lineup of male skin care products for men. The products contain
- Gillette Skin care Moisturizer
- Gillette Face Wash and Scrub
There are two reasons why P&G launched the skin care brands
- Men’s skin care market is growing more than the women’s market. In India the growth is 25-30%. Women’s skincare market, in contrast, is growing at 10-15 per cent per annum.
- Sale of Giillette has declined 2-3% last year and P&G needs to revitalize the brand
Gillette was the first choice for P&G because of its high brand equity among men in shaving segment which is characterized by innovation in shaving technology. Secondly P&G could save time and money builds new brands
But the problem with the Gillette is that it’s a product brand which is strongly linked to men’s shaving segment and mere extension to the skin care segment would have been disastrous.
So what did Gillette do to make the extension credible?
According to P&G Press Release
Gillette’s deep understanding of men and shaving combined with P&G’s expertise in skin science has resulted in Gillette Fusion ProSeries, an advanced line of skin care products that drive incredible comfort before, during, and after the shave. This new skin care line features the first mass market men’s thermal facial scrub, as well as a skin care lotion and moisturizer to deliver comfort throughout the shaving process.
- Gillette Fusion ProSeries Thermal Scrub warms, deep cleans and helps soften facial hair before shaving
- Gillette Fusion ProSeries Instant Hydration UV Moisturizer + SPF15 is a non-greasy formula with Vitamin E and SPF 15 UV Protection that immediately restores moisture and provides all-day hydration to help reduce dryness and tightness after the shaving is over
Interestingly all the Gillette skincare line products are designed to make the shaving process smooth which is the sphere of influence for Gillette.
So Gillette Fusion skin care line now complements the Gillette’s core identity of making shaving a pleasure, smooth, hassle free experience.